History of The Bell

Great Cheverell is a village on edge of the chalke downs of Salisbury Plain going back to before Saxon times and was mentioned in the Doomsday Book.

The Bell Inn public house was purpose built in the 1740s complete with taproom and cellar and externally has not changed much since then.

Throughout its long history landlords have ensured that the pub stayed at the heart of this Wiltshire community. The frontage of The Bell was the centre of the village and so annual fetes and village feast days (with the famed Cheverell Gooseberry Pudding) were always held here.

The Bell circa 1950

In the 1950s the village had a prized Silver Band led by Bert Ridout whom gained great local acclaim, playing at the Bell Inn Club Room before the skiffle bands took over. In the 1980s the function room served as a Saturday night disco venue.

More recently in the noughties the pub enjoyed five minutes of fame when Phil Spencer and Kirsty Allsop of Location, Location, Location introduced the then next publicans to take The Bell forward.

Today The Bell has Mike and Lorna, who together with their young family, will be carrying on the tradition of a great village pub at the centre of Great Cheverell.